Storage Tips: Storing in Montgomery
If, like many people, you want to make storing your valuables easy and stress free, Maxwell Mini Storage has the tips that can help. We have carefully selected the best storage tips for you to take a look at that should minimize hassle for you on move-in day.
Take your time to browse our storage tips and determine which ones you should take note of. We have listed everything that you need to know in order to transfer your belongings to us quickly and safely. We look forward to seeing you soon, and if you have any questions, feel free to take a look at our FAQ page!
Storage Basics Overview
Finding a storage unit can be an overwhelming task, especially if you aren’t familiar with all of the options and features available. It’s best to assess all of your storage needs before you even search for a local storage facility.
Consider how long you might need the storage unit. Many facilities offer discounts for long-term storage, but some may also have specials for temporary rentals.
Estimate how much space you will require. Save money by only renting the space you need. Feel free to use the self storage calculator to help you. Many facilities will store larger items including cars, camper and other motorized vehicles.
How often will you need to access the unit? Some facilities are accessible 24/7 and may even have drive-up access. Hours of operations range from facility to facility and should be taken into consideration depending on your needs.
Are any of the items you plan to store sensitive to temperature or humidity? If so, you will most likely need a climate-controlled storage unit. Typically the following items need to be stored indoors with some type of climate-control: leathers, furs, clothing, paintings, film, photographs, furniture, antiques, musical instruments, wine, paper, software, DVDs, CDs and electronics.
All storage facilities should have secure units, but if you require additional security for your possessions ask the facility if they have any of the following: fencing, surveillance cameras, motion lights, alarms, guards or a police presence.
You may also want to consider mobile storage for your items. If you decide to use mobile storage, a unit will be brought to you and removed after you have packed it. The unit will be stored at the facility or can be shipped to another location. The cost and features of mobile storage are comparable to self-storage but if you require regular access to your belongings, it may not be the best option for your needs.
Check out more detailed storage tips on the left hand side of this page. There’s a storage solution for every situation.
Why Use Self Storage?
Renting a self storage unit can be a great way to reduce clutter and free up needed space at the home or office. A storage unit is a smart place to keep a few boxes, old appliances, memorabilia, heirlooms and old toys.
Often self storage units offer more security than homes. Self storage facilities provide security features not normally found on homes. In addition to a lock, facilities are often protected by a security fence, surveillance cameras, a gated entry, limited entry after hours, exterior lighting and possibly security guards or onsite management. You may choose to purchase an in-home security system for your home. While this may protect the items stored in your home, will it protect items left in your yard? What about that backyard storage shed? Self storage units give you the benefits of both extra storage space and added security.
Some items pose potential hazards at home and need to be placed in a secure area to ensure the safety of your family. You may be handy around the house and enjoy renovation projects, but between jobs a self storage unit can keep those power tools, ladders, saws and drills away from curious children and, thereby, reduce the risk of possible accidents around the house.
Homes often do not have the storage space to hold large items. For instance, if you have ski boats, canoes or vintage cars, you may not have room for them in your garage or driveway. A self storage unit could give you a place to store such items that provides protection from the weather and some added security. If your garage has slowly filled with things like your exercise equipment and camping supplies and you want to reclaim it for your car, a self storage unit may be a perfect solution.
When renting a unit you may be required or at least offered insurance. Insurance will replace your valuables if they are stolen or damaged while in storage. Self storage insurance may be cheaper than homeowner’s or renter’s insurance.
Choosing a Storage Facility or Storage Unit
If moving, do you want to pack and store items yourself or hire someone to do it for you?
If you value ease and saving time over saving money, you may want to hire professional movers who will come and pack up your belongings, move your items to their company-run storage site and then pack them up again and move them to your new destination. Make sure that you do your homework before hiring a mover. You’ll want to know that the company you hire is a reputable one before you entrust them with your valuables. Another thing to consider is that if you pack and store the items yourself you will have to pay for insurance, which can be costly. When hiring someone to do the work for you, insurance is often included in the cost of their services.
Do you need more time to pack, or want closer proximity to stored items?
You also may opt to rent a mobile storage unit. The mobile storage company will bring the storage unit to your house where you can pack it at your own pace. Then, they will move it to your new destination where you can unpack at your own pace. Some companies also offer to help with the packing for an added fee.
Are the items you wish to store sensitive to cold, heat, moisture or dust?
If you are storing valuable items such as documents, furs, electronics, computer equipment, stereos or television sets you may want to opt for a climate-controlled unit. Many storage facilities also offer dust-free storage for your sensitive electronics.
Will want to switch out the storage contents seasonally?
Often you will want to store your summer wardrobe or seasonal household items such as swimming pool equipment or patio furniture during the winter months. During the summer you may want to store your family’s skis, snowmobile, snow blower and shovels. Space may vary for these items and perhaps even the need for climate or dust control. Make sure that you consider all your possible needs before renting your unit.
Do you need 24 hour tenant access?
Be aware that not all facilities will allow you access to the unit during any given time of the day or night. Rules vary from one facility to the next. While some units are accessible 24 hours a day, other facilities have limited hours of operation that limit access to your belongings. Check the rules before signing a contract if round-the-clock access is important to you.
Do you need to store large items such as cars, campers or other motorized vehicles?
Self storage can be a great option for storing vehicles. If needed, you can rent a climate-controlled unit to help preserve these items. You will want to be sure that you rent from a company with an established reputation. Safety is another factor to consider. You will rest easier knowing that your valuables are properly secured.
Is the storage facility you chose secure?
Compare the safety and security features of facilities before renting. Ask if there are security cameras on the premises. Is the facility equipped with motion lights or otherwise well lit? Some storage facilities offer security alarms and security fences. Still other locations have an onsite manager living on the premises who will keep an eye on whose coming and going. They will alert the police of any suspicious activity.
Self Storage Packing Tips
Whether you need to pack a few items to put in the attic, send some boxes to a self storage unit to clear the house of clutter or pack everything you own in order to move, you want to do it right. This means packing carefully and thinking ahead. Take a few precautions to help prevent damage and make it easier to find things later. When summer rolls around, you want to be able to find the other half of your wardrobe without having to open and move stacks of boxes that weren’t clearly labeled.
Guidelines to keep in mind as you pack:
- To aid in stacking, use same-size boxes when possible.
- Avoid storing items in plastic bags as they are less sturdy and could trap moisture.
- Fill each box completely to prevent the top or sides from crushing. If your box is filled with odd-shaped or loose items like glassware or toys, fill the open spaces with crumpled paper, bubble wrap or other packing material.
- Don’t fill boxes too full. This may cause them to burst.
- Don’t make boxes too heavy to move. Use larger boxes for things that don’t weigh much and smaller ones for the heavy stuff.
- Use the right type of box or packing crate. For instance, use a heavy-duty box for your books as this is less likely to break than a standard box. You still need to be careful not to overfill it, though. Cell kits may work best for stemware or knick-knacks. Wardrobe boxes allow you to hang up clothing and fabrics while in storage.
- Stack books; don’t stand them on end as this could damage the spines.
- Stack plates on end. Wrap dishes individually and place like-sized items together. Nest individually wrapped cups together.
- Wrap framed art in bubble wrap. Look for protective cardboard or plastic corners at your packing supply store.
- Criss-cross masking tape across the face of mirrors or glass-covered art.
- Store framed mirrors, photographs and artwork vertically rather than flat.
- Label boxes clearly and on more than one side. Consider providing a general description like ‘kitchen goods’ and then providing a short inventory such as ‘potholders, towels, aprons, silverware’ so that no one opens this kitchen box when they need the pots and pans. Be sure to mark boxes full of breakables as ‘fragile.’
- Clean items like clothing, blankets, drapery or furniture before packing them to prevent germs and dirt from being transported to a new location and odors from spreading throughout your storage unit.
- Polish wood before you pack to provide a little extra protection from the elements.
- Treat leather items with a specially made conditioner before placing them in storage.
- Wipe metal objects with machine oil or another type of rust preventative.
- Take apart items like bed frames and tables, and remove lampshades from lamps. This will help protect them from breaking and make them easier to move.
- Cover furniture with sheets or tarps to protect them from stains, tears and scratches.
- Place heavy items on the bottom of your moving van or self storage unit.
- Place least used items in front of the van so they can easily be placed behind other items in your new garage or self storage unit.
- Place valuable items like your television behind other items so that they will be more difficult to see and to steal.
- Place boxes of fragile items on top of other boxes.
- Consider the environment where you plan to store your valuables. Will it be very hot or cold? Consider renting a climate controlled storage room for items that could be damaged by extreme temperatures or humidity. This includes things like software, paper, electronics or clothing. Some items do best in cold storage such as wine and furs. In self storage units without climate control consider using a dehumidifier.
- When choosing a storage unit, factor in a little more room than your belongings take up in order to allow space for you to walk between stacks of items. This will help you to find what you need after you store it. Leave a little room between the walls and the stored goods to improve ventilation.
- Take a little time to plan and organize as you pack. This should make it easier to finds things in the future and less likely that anything will get damaged during a move or while in storage.
It is often assumed that self storage facilities will automatically provide insurance for the items being placed into storage. This is not generally the case. Few self storage facilities will offer full or comprehensive item insurance within their standard storage rental fees. Some may offer basic coverage as part of the package based on the size of storage unit rented, but this may not be enough for your needs.
Although some self storage facilities won’t insist that you have insurance coverage, others will and it makes sense to put adequate coverage in place. Don’t be lulled into a false sense of well-being just because the facility you’ve chosen has implemented good security measures or has a smoking ban on site for example. Your items are technically out of your hands in self storage and, although the facility may be doing everything it can to avoid theft, they can do little against accidents and damage caused by fires, floods, storms and other natural disasters.
It is recommended that you check your insurance options carefully before signing your storage rental agreement and placing your items into self storage. In fact, your first step should be to contact your homeowner/renter insurance agent to see if the items placed in the self storage facility will be covered by your current policy. It may be that you are fully covered for items stored away from home or you may be able to pay an additional premium to get such coverage. This option could be cheaper than taking out a separate insurance policy. If you do provide your own insurance coverage, be aware that the self storage facility you choose may ask to see proof of your policy before renting you space.
Should you purchase insurance? Ask yourself these questions:
- Are my items already covered under my current insurance policy? This would include vehicles and boats as well as household items.
- Does the self storage facility offer any type of coverage?
- If an accident occurs and the facility is at fault, will your items be covered?
- If a natural disaster occurs, will your items be covered?
- Has the self storage facility had many claims made by other renters?
- Will the policy need to be updated each time an item is added or removed from storage? Be sure to keep a detailed list of what is in your self storage unit and its value.
- Are the items being stored of high monetary or sentimental value? If so, it may be worth the extra cost to rent a climate controlled storage unit.
HOW TO INVEST WISELY IN A STORAGE UNIT IN MONTGOMERY
What to know before renting a storage unit in Montgomery, Alabama
Finding the right kind of storage unit in Montgomery, Al can be a tad bit difficult. There are several factors that one needs to consider before renting out a storage unit, whether it is climate-controlled or standard storage. Factors like budget, time, size of the storage unit, type of storage unit, services, etc. play a huge role in determining the right one for your storage needs. Let’s break them down.
Important factors to look for when renting a storage unit in Montgomery, Alabama.
Budget: First decide the amount you are willing to invest in a storage unit. It will help you shortlist suitable storage units and choose from the ones that fit your said budget. This will help you save money and give you a good return on your investment. For business owners, a small investment for the business will end in reduction of wastage of raw materials and intermediary goods.
Duration: Deciding the duration for which you will be needing the storage unit will help you get an understanding of your total expenditure. If you are renting a storage unit in Montgomery, Al for a longer duration, it is advisable that you ask for good offers or discounts from vendors. You can also compare the pricings of multiple vendors and use them to negotiate better.
Type of storage unit: According to your storage needs, you should decide on either a self-drive storage unit to rent or a storage facility that provides pick and drop services. You can also choose between a temperature-controlled storage unit and a standard storage unit. Picking the right kind of storage unit is important in order to avoid wastage of money.
Size of the storage unit: Remember, the bigger the storage unit, the more expensive it is. It is advisable to rent a storage unit that will be fully utilized. Leaving a lot of extra room in the storage unit will only lead to wastage of money and space. On the other hand, renting a storage unit that is too small will lead to more clutter and you might even end up having to rent another one. Be precise about this and you will be able to spend your money wisely.
Items to store: Make a list of items that you need to store in a storage unit. This will help you reduce clutter in the rented storage unit as well as your house or office. Store items you seldom need and are valuable. This way, you will save yourself from frequent trips to the storage facility and save transportation cost as well.
Insurance: Always ask the storage facility if they offer insurance for the stored belongings or not. There can be two ways that you can get insurance for your belongings. Either the facility takes the responsibility and provides insurance of the stored items, or they have a third party onboard which provides insurance against theft, accidents, fire etc. Also, ask what the additional costs are that you must pay for the insurance. This little investment will go a long way in protecting your stored items in case there is a mishap.
These were some of the key points that you should look for while renting a storage unit in Montgomery, Al for your valuable possessions. Ensure that your investment is worth it. Ask around for recommendations and connections from those who have had prior experiences in renting storage units to help you make the right choice. Good luck!
Why Renting a Storage Unit Online Saves You Time and Money
For most of us, storage is an everyday hassle, which we just cannot seem to get rid of. Be it temporary or for long term purposes, getting a good storage unit is an absolute nightmare.
There are many aspects to look into when one is looking for a storage unit. Right from what type of storage services to choose – self-service or full service, to how much to shell out for the storage units, to what size of storage unit to be rented, what to look for when you are searching for good storage unit facilities. Let us start with the basics of self-storage.
Types of storage unit options available
There are two types of storage options available in the market for you to take your pick from. The first is full-service storage sheds, which is a storage facility that gives all kinds of services which saves you the hassle of moving the furniture or belongings into the storage shed yourself.
This kind of facility offers to pick and drop services for your ease and comfort. With this type of a storage shed, you can schedule a drop or pick up just by using your smartphones. They also provide complete documentation of your belongings so that you can keep a track of them. Some full-service storage providers are as follows– Clutter (San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Seattle, Log Angeles, New Jersey, Orange County, Santa Barbara, California and San Diego), Trove (Greater San Francisco Bay Area), RedBin (New York), MakeSpace (Los Angeles, DC, New York, and Chicago), and Cubiq (Greater Boston Area).
The second category of storage units is based on self-service storage. This type of storage option is the most commonly used kind. These are budget friendly and widely preferred for self-storage needs. In this, the customer is responsible for leaving or picking their belongings as well as documenting them. Some storage sheds are Extra Space Storage, U-Haul, and Public Storage etc.
Important facts to remember when renting a storage facility
Size – When renting storage units, it is important to estimate the size of the unit depending on your requirements. Fortunately, most storage sheds offer a wide range of size options ranging from a moderate 5’x5′ to extra space storage options of 10’x20′. The prices for each size differs of course.
- Get the Lowest Price – It is important to look into your budget while picking a storage unit near you. Most storage facilities make their pricing based on how big or small the unit is and for how long you are renting it out. You can rent it out on a monthly basis for your short term needs or else for a year or more for long term needs. You can book your storage units online and book it at a cheaper rate than actually visiting the facility.
- Guaranteed Availability – It is advisable to book your storage unit online so that you can see if there is actually a storage unit that matches your requirement, that is available or not. A lot of times, these logistical errors results in a lot of time wastage. Nowadays, you can just di an online search for ‘storage units near me’ and get something that is convenient.
- Quick and Easy – By booking your storage unit online (simply search ‘storage near me’ and you will find some options) you can directly facilitate the moving of your belongings to the unit and cut down valuable time which would otherwise be lost in actually visiting the office and setting up a unit.
- Hassle Free – The storage facility that you choose should be able to accommodate your changing needs and make your life hassle-free. If your self-storage needs require you to rent out a larger unit at some point, it should be an easy process for you to make the transfer of your belongings.
Things to keep in mind before you rent a storage unit
Climate control (if you need to store temperature-sensitive goods)
- Ease of accessibility
- Security measures taken by the storage shed to protect your belongings
- The infrastructure of the facility like lighting, protection from leakages etc.
- Online reviews of the facility before you rent it
- Kinds of items allowed to store in the unit, like RVs, motorcycles etc.
- Insurance provided by the facility (and insurance availabilities on the market)
How to Invest Wisely in a Storage Unit in Montgomery
What to know before renting a storage unit in Montgomery, Alabama
Finding the right kind of storage units in Montgomery Al is a tad bit difficult. There are several factors that one needs to consider before renting out a storage unit, whether climate-controlled or standard storage. Factors like budget, time, size of the storage unit, type of storage unit, services, etc. play a huge role in determining the right one for your storage needs.
Important factors to look for when renting a storage unit Montgomery Al.
Budget: First decide what is the amount that you can invest in a storage unit. It will help you to streamline the storage units and choose from the ones that fit your said budget. This will help you save money and give you a good return on your investment. For business owners, a small investment for the business will end in reduction of wastage of raw materials and intermediary goods.
Duration: Deciding the duration for which you will be needing the storage unit will help you get an understanding of your total expenditure. If you are renting a storage unit Montgomery Al for longer duration, it is advisable that you ask for good offers or discounts.
Type of storage unit: According to your storage needs you should decide on either a self-drive storage unit to rent or a storage facility that provides pick and drop services. You can also choose between a climate-controlled storage unit and a standard storage unit. Picking the right kind of storage unit is important in order to avoid wastage of money.
Size of the storage unit: Remember, the bigger the storage unit, the more expensive it is. It is advisable to rent a storage unit that will be fully utilized. Leaving a little extra room in the storage unit will only lead to wastage of money and space. On the other hand renting a storage unit that is too small will lead to more clutter and you might even end up having to rent another one.
Items to store: Make a list of items that you need to store in a storage unit. This will help you reduce clutter in the rented storage unit as well as your house or office. Store those items what you seldom need and are valuable. This way you will save yourself from frequent trips to the storage facility and save transportation cost as well.
Insurance: Always ask the storage facility if they offer insurance for the stored belongings or not. There can be two ways that you can get insurance for your belongings. Either the facility takes the responsibility and provides insurance of the stored items or they have a third party onboard which provides insurance against theft, accidents, fire etc. Also ask what the additional costs are that you have to pay for the insurance. This little investment will go a long way in protecting your stored items.
These were some of the key points that you should look for in your rented storage units Montgomery Al for your storage issues. Ensure that your investment is worth it. Ask around for recommendations and connections from those who have had prior experiences in renting storage units to help you make the right choice.
Renting Storage Units in Montgomery, Alabama? Read This First
What to know before renting a storage unit in Montgomery, Alabama
Montgomery is the city capital of the state of Alabama, United States of America. It has a tropical humid climate which requires special storage conditions for this place. The winters are short, while autumns and springs are warm and long, summers are humid. The city also witnesses a good about of rainfall during the monsoons which are accompanied by thunderstorms.
The benefits of choosing climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al.
Montgomery, Alabama is the kind of place that would require you to choose a climate-controlled storage unit for your storage needs. Due to its humid temperature, storing items can be a bit of a hassle. A climate-controlled storage unit can be beneficial.
Protection against extreme conditions: Fluctuations in temperatures can cause damage to your stored belongings in the storage facility. These fluctuations can cause cracks, splits and lead items to rot. A climate-controlled storage unit will help in maintaining a steady internal climate and temperature which will increase the longevity of your stored items.
Protection for delicate items: You can choose a climate-controlled storage unit to store your valuables and delicate items. Items like art collections, mattresses, electronics, wooden furniture and antiques, books, and personal documents are examples of such items.
Protection against humidity: In a climate-controlled storage unit, you have internal humidity control that you can maintain to keep your belongings safe. It is advisable to talk to a facility representative if they have internal humidity control or ask for their base humidity control. This will help in maintaining an optimum humidity level to protect your valuable belongings. Excess humidity can cause irreversible damage to the items stored.
Protection against molds and fungus: Excessive humidity and moisture can increase the chances of growth for molds and funguses. These can result in severe damage to the stored belongings. It is not only important to have a climate-controlled setting, but it is also important to open the storage unit regularly to air out the place and let some natural light in it. Too much dryness can also cause damage to any wooden furniture or belongings, it might cause cracks and warps in them.
Safety from dust and debris: A climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al will help you in keeping your belongings safe from any kind of debris and dust. The climate control setting allows a steady and well-maintained internal condition that does not let any dust to form or settle on the items stored within.
Maintain good air quality: A standard storage unit will have the outside air coming in all the time, on the other hand, a climate-controlled storage unit will allow you to control the air quality inside. This will allow the belongings to stay fresh and last longer without deteriorating. The air inside a climate-controlled storage unit is monitored constantly, hence keeping out the external elements like dust, water, heat etc.
These were the benefits of renting a climate storage Montgomery. Whether you choose a self-storage unit or a storage unit that provides a drive-in and drive-out facility, make sure you pick a storage unit that suits your needs. Storage needs require a significant amount of investment, so make a well-researched decision when renting a climate-controlled storage unit.
A Word on Self-Storage in Montgomery Alabama
Whether you are a student or a business owner, deciding what the best option is for a storage unit, can be very difficult. There are several factors that you should consider before you rent out a storage unit.
But since most of the places will offer you a higher marked-up cost along with services, you should always look for self-storage Montgomery to rent. These give you more control over the operation and management of your rented storage unit.
Benefits of renting a self-storage unit in Montgomery, Alabama.
Today we will be looking at a few benefits of renting a self-storage Montgomery.
You can reduce clutter: You can choose what to store in the climate storage Montgomery Al. Ensure that you store only items that are necessary. You can store study materials, old furniture, clothes, and appliances in an organized manner. This will help you reduce clutter not only at home but also within the self-storage unit.
Security: Keeping valuable items at the home may not always be a good idea. Not many of us have good security systems at home, but a self-storage facility will have state-of-the-art surveillance systems in place to ensure the safety of the facility.
Safety: Most of us might have kids or pets in our homes. In that case, storing equipment and tools can be dangerous to them. A self-storage Montgomery can help in keeping your help free from potential accidents or injuries that could take place.
Cost benefits: If you are a business owner, you will know that storing your intermediary goods and raw materials can be a hassle. Instead of storing all of these within your office space, you can rent a self-storage unit to de-clutter your office space. This will help in saving your materials from wastage and damage. A small investment in a storage unit will help in reducing costs due to loss of material.
Use of office space: Storing away office supplies and materials in the self-storage unit will help you in clearing out your office space. This ensures you to effectively use your office space. This will help you gain some space instead of moving into an expensive bigger office.
Easy way to expand the business: If you want to hire more resources and acquire more material, you can just move some of the items, paperwork, and furniture into a self-storage Montgomery to free up some space and accommodate resources. This will help in a smooth expansion and will help you save the costs of relocating into a bigger space. Along with these benefits, you also get the security of your inventory at a minimal monthly cost.
The flexibility of use: A self-storage facility will provide any time access to the renter. It is also easier to retrieve and store items at one’s own time. It ensures flexibility and a smoother way of operation for a business.
There were the benefits of using a self-storage Montgomery. It is important that you decide if the benefits are suitable for your needs or not. Depending on your needs, you can also choose a drive-in and drive-out facility at a premium charge.
Climate Controlled Storage Facilities
And all you need to know about choosing one
Deciding on the best climate-controlled storage facility that is best suited for you is one of the most difficult decisions you can encounter. Most places provide storage facilities that are expensive and average in terms of services rendered. Climate controlled storage Montgomery, AI for women provides second to none secure and safe user experience.
A good climate controlled storage facility will provide the best service while allowing you to take over the operation of your rented climate controlled storage unit. It will offer units at reasonable prices whilst helping to keep your belongings secured and protected from rogue weather conditions. Keeping humidity and temperature levels at a certain level is ideal for businesses and homeowners due to the items stored.
Importance of climate controlled storage facilities for indoor storage
Indoor storage facilities should be well ventilated all year long for better operation. Ventilation ensures that your storage unit is adequately circulated with clean air while helping to keep humidity levels at the required level. You can improve the quality and duration of items in your storage by adopting a climate controlled storage facility.
Why use climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al?
Climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al are some of the best options when it comes to storing and keeping your most valuable accessories safe. They help to ensure that the humidity level around your storage is ideal for storing the most delicate appliances. Here we will review some of the benefits of renting a climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al for women.
There is better air quality in a climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al facility: Indoor storage units that use climate controlled storage facilities are well-sealed and use mechanical means to keep fresh air in and out. This method ensures that the air inside stays clean and is fresh all day. This is more ideal if you are storing items like books and laptops which discourage foreign impurities. These items additionally require a constant circulation of clean air often.
Climate controlled storage facilities protect your unit from dust: The atmosphere inside a climate controlled unit tends to keep dust and debris away. Additionally, these units help to deter pests and rodents away thus allowing you to experience peace of mind atmosphere 24/7. Protect your most valuable and sensitive materials by having a climate-controlled storage facility.
Helps reduce clutter: You get to choose what to store in the climate storage Montgomery, AI. More importantly ensure that you store and keep important items in your storage area. You can decide to store books, furniture or appliances here. This will help to reduce the clutter at home and also within self-storage units.
Cost-effective: For business owners, it is always a hassle to store intermediary goods and particularly raw materials. When you are doing a Google search for ‘renting conditioned storage units near me’, try to learn more about the effects that rogue weather conditions have on storage items. By controlling and regulating how temperature varies and changes throughout the year you get priceless advantage compared to traditional means of storage.
Better site security: As climate controlled storage facilities are expensive to install and are housed inside facilities, they are offered better security. These measures help to offer better protection for you and the installing team. You can relax at the comfort of safety measures offered by these storage units.
Items to store
- Musical instruments
- Optical disks
- Electronic appliances
- Paperwork stationeries
You are safely secured by opting to get a climate-controlled storage facility. The temperature controlled storage is a safe bet but the most ideal is a climate-controlled storage facility. These storage facilities are usually installed with a dehumidifier and HVAC systems to help control both humidity and temperature consequently. It is important to check on the climate pattern before choosing one to ensure you get the best suited for your needs.
Decluttering: Store or Keep?
As you look around your house, you realize that you have accumulated more than will fit into the square footage available in your home. It may be that you cannot abide junk and regularly rid your home of worn out items and things no one wants anymore. Still, you see that too many things are cluttering your home and hiding its style and pizzazz. You decide to rent a self storage unit. It will allow you to rotate your treasures in and out of your house at the whim of your inner design guru. Now comes the hard part. What should stay and what should be tucked away in your self storage unit?
- Hold onto clothes that are in season and that you wear regularly.
- Keep at home practical items in regular use like silverware, towels, bedding and soap dishes.
- Retain often used furniture.
- Keep photos and wall hangings that add a spark to the décor.
- Hold onto board games and enough toys to fill your child’s toy box.
- Keep enough of your college student’s personal objects to make them feel at home when they visit.
- File current bills and private documents like social security cards and bank account information at home.
- Show off collectors’ items in a display cabinet.
- Make room for sporting gear that someone in the house uses every few days (basketballs, yoga mats, bikes and more).
- Carve a niche for that emergency household tool kit.
- Store out-of-season clothing and footwear.
- Box up extra items that clutter your cupboards like excess towels, the good silver used only on holidays, extra blankets needed only in winter and toothbrush holders that have been replaced by a fresh design.
- Store the rocker that only grandma sits in when she visits every six months or the footstool that no one uses but everyone trips over.
- Store photos and wall hangings that make the room look too busy or just don’t fit your current design scheme.
- Pack away extra toys that you have no room for. Rotate them in and out every few weeks so that your child can enjoy all of them. Involve your child in the decisions.
- Put away your college student’s bags, balls and other belongings that spill out of his closets into other rooms or that make his room uncomfortable for guests.
- Stash tax documents and other papers that may be needed but are seldom reviewed.
- Store collectors’ items that take up too much room and don’t look good on display. If you have several collections or many items, you may want to rotate them.
- Pack up out-of-season sporting gear.
- Bundle garden tools together in the off season and stick them in a garbage bin in your self storage unit.
- Ultimately, use your discretion to decide what stays and what goes. Label your stored goods well. If you are keeping them, you should rotate what you can into daily use every so often.
The presents are unwrapped, the boxes are emptied of their contents, and tissue paper is strewn about the room. Time to clean up from all the holiday merriment; but don’t be too hasty to throw out the tissue paper and empty boxes – recycle them. This article will give you some “ah ha” ideas for storing holiday decorations, and self storage is a convenient place to holiday items when the season is over.
- Run used gift wrap and tissue paper through a paper shredder and use the fluffy strips as filler.
- Keep fragile ornaments at the top of a box.
- Egg cartons are perfect for tiny ornaments.
- Have a partitioned cardboard wine box? Use it to store tissue-wrapped ornaments. Several ornaments can be stacked on top of each other in each slot.
- Reuse a shirt box or shoebox to store ornament hangers. Fill it with hooks, rolls of small ribbon, cording, scissors, twist ties and craft wire – everything you’d need to replace the inevitable lost hanger.
- Store food-based decorations (like the cinnamon and applesauce ornaments your kids bring home from school) in sandwich bags to protect them from humidity, and then place the bags in an empty cookie tin to keep rodents out.
- Store bulky garlands in large plastic storage boxes. You can push a lot into a big box, since there’s nothing to break, and the garlands can be fluffed out.
- Mark the center of a long swag with a colored twist tie before you remove it so you won’t have to measure it again next year.
- Label segments of garland with a pen and masking tape as you take it down so you’ll always know which piece to hang in the entryway and which is just the right size for the mantel.
- Instead of coiling your lights in a bundle that somehow turns into a big tangled ball, wrap them around empty wrapping paper tubes and tape the ends of the string to the tube.
- Put extra bulbs and fuses in a sandwich bag and place inside the tube.
Wedding Dress Storage
The wedding is over. Perhaps you wore your grandmother’s elegant silk gown with the flowing train and the delicately embroidered veil that matched, or maybe you and your girlfriends spent weeks searching for the perfect wedding dress that you felt best reflected your personality. Now, you need to store this treasure so that the years do not steal any of its beauty. You may want to leave the possibility open for your little girl to one day carry on the family tradition and walk down the aisle in that very wedding gown. To best maintain its timeless grandeur, follow a few important steps:
- Check the gown’s label for care instructions. Some must be dry cleaned while others can be “wet-cleaned,” which means cleaned with water, a process that can be handled by a professional. Often polyester dresses can be hand washed, but test a small, hidden area to be sure. Labels may provide special instructions that specify the type of cleaning solvent that the dress requires. Check with your bridal shop for an experienced dry cleaner that carries the type of supplies and equipment your dress needs.
- Have the gown cleaned as soon as possible to prevent stains from setting. Check out the dry-cleaner and make sure the individual who will handle your dress has solid experience cleaning wedding gowns. Not all gowns require the same type of treatment. Some chemicals work great on silk but will damage sequins. Look for a cleaner that uses virgin solvent, rather than recycled. A gown cleaned in impure solvent will smell likes it has been dry cleaned, and it shouldn’t.
- Avoid storing the gown in a plastic dry cleaning bag or a plastic garment bag for very long, even if the wedding boutique sent the dress home with you in such a bag. Plastic may emit fumes that could yellow or otherwise damage your gown. In addition, if moisture gets trapped in the bag, the dress could mildew.
- Decide whether you want to have the gown professionally boxed or hung or if you are going to handle it yourself. The following professional procedures should help you protect this heirloom.
- If you choose to have the gown boxed by a company that specializes in preserving wedding gowns, they will likely use an acid-free wedding box, preferably not simply one with an acid-free coating as it will not provide as much protection in the long run. They should pad the bodice and folds with acid-free tissue. Fabrics like rayon or polyester should use buffered tissue while natural material like silk should use un-buffered tissue. If you have the gown boxed, do not get it sealed. A dress that has been folded will need to be taken out and rearranged every year or so to prevent folds from creasing and permanently damaging the dress. An added benefit of storing your dress in an unsealed container is that you may take it out, try it on and enjoy it occasionally.
- Choosing to have a wedding dress preservation company professionally hang the gown will help prevent wrinkles and will require less care in the future. Since it will not be folded, creases will not develop; therefore, the dress will not have to be removed from its packaging every couple of years to be rearranged. The dress should be placed in a cloth bag that contains no dye and hung on a thickly padded hanger. Dresses with narrow straps or none at all should be reinforced to prevent breakage. The bodice may be filled with acid-free tissue to help it retain its shape.
- Check the dress at least once a year for problems. A spilled drink may be invisible when it dries, but over time it can oxidize and turn the area where it spilled brown. Have such spots cleaned right away. They can become harder to remove once they have been there awhile. Normally, they will show up in the first year after the wedding.
- When removing the gown from storage, even for a little while, wear plain white cotton gloves to prevent sweat or dirt from leaving residue on the dress. This could lead to stains later. In addition, perspiration might cause the cloth to become brittle.
- After the wedding dress has been cleaned and preserved, keep it in a location where the temperature is cool and the air is dry. Minimize light. Ultraviolet radiation can hurt textiles over a long period of time. A dehumidifier may help, or you may want to lease a self storage unit with climate control features that allow you to keep the temperature low and the air dry to better protect all your stored clothing, most especially this one-of-a-kind symbol of your family’s beginning that when preserved, may bring happiness to generations.
Home Appliance Storage
It can be difficult to make space in your home or garage for unused appliances. But because new appliances are expensive, many people prefer to hold on to old ones for hand-me-downs, vacation homes, or back-ups. A self storage rental can be a convenient, affordable solution — short-term or long-term. However, if you don’t properly prepare your appliances for remote storage, you may return to find useless, moldy boxes. Below is some useful advice for secure appliance storage.
If you have additional questions or concerns regarding appliance storage, remember that your self storage facility manager may be a great source of information and guidance.
Run a final cycle
Consider running an empty clothes washer and dishwasher through a complete wash cycle using either a cup of bleach or white vinegar instead of detergent prior to placing in self storage.
Empty any water from hoses, holding tanks, plastic tubing and other internal components. This will help prevent freezing and mildew.
Clean the interior
Scrub and dry the interior completely — especially in refrigerators, dishwashers and ovens. Food and sugar remnants can attract bugs, even in interior storage units. In refrigerators, clean and dry the defrost pan — you’ll find it underneath or behind the refrigerator. In water-using appliances, wipe the rubber cushion seal around the perimeter of the door. Mildew tends to collect in this area.
Treat for insects
Insects that infest food are found almost everywhere. To prevent an infestation, be sure to spray your clean appliance for bugs.
Clean the exterior
Any motor-driven appliance will have an intake area (lint filter, tube or grid). be sure to clean this vent. A vacuum may do the trick, but if the opening is greasy, you might use an old toothbrush.
Remove glass and protect finish
If your appliance has glass shelves or fragile parts, remove them and transport them separately. Appliances with finishes that can scratch or dent should be wrapped in blankets or bubble wrap. Refrigerators should be transported upright.
Secure with tape
Use a strong tape to hold the appliance door closed. Even though the tape should only stay in place during the move, you may want to choose a type that won’t leave residue (such as blue painters tape). Once in storage, remove the tape and prop the appliance’s door open to prevent mildew.
Choose a suitable storage unit
If you are storing your appliances in a region that experiences high temperatures, low temperatures, wide temperature swings, or high humidity, you may want to consider a climate controlled storage unit. Because climate control temps are kept constant, the mechanical/electronic parts of your appliances are better protected from rust and fissures.
If you’re moving more household items into your self storage unit, put the large appliances on the truck last. This way, they will be the first to come off the truck. Refrigerators should be transported upright.
By placing appliances in the back of your storage unit, you’ll have easier access to smaller items that you retrieve more frequently.
Turn the power off
The large majority of storage facilities will not offer electricity outlets in your storage unit. But if yours does have power, do not use it. Leave your appliance off for the duration of the rental.
Protect fragile parts
If you store appliance parts separately (glass panels, shelves, etc.) remember to mark them as fragile and avoid stacking or leaning heavy items on them.
Prop open the door
Find a way to keep the appliance’s door ajar for the duration of the storage rental. This will help deter mildew.
Avoid unwanted odors
Place an open box of baking soda in stored appliances.
Although some storage and moving companies advise against stowing items inside your appliances, careful preparation will offer additional storage space. A clean, dry, open appliance is a good spot to store lighter items, including fragile things. Do not jam-pack your appliance with heavy items, like books.
Cover and protect
Use a breathable material such as a tarp or sheet to shield your appliance from dirt, dust or accidental scratches.
Spring Cleaning and Storage
That time of year has arrived when the days get longer, and it becomes easier to do something about the carpet stains, dust and stale air that have built up during the last few weeks and, perhaps, months. Finally, you can throw open all of the windows and let in the fresh air without freezing. Now, get ready to revitalize your home with a good spring cleaning.
Whether you conduct a full-house cleaning once a year or once a month, you may want to consider renting a self storage unit to get things out of the way during the process. In addition, cleaning and organizing easily can turn into redecorating. Self storage facilities are great places to store items for the long-term that do not fit into your updated home design scheme but that you are not ready to toss, sell or donate.
Spring cleaning tips:
- To keep track of what you have already accomplished, clean from the top down, dusting and washing ceiling fans, light fixtures and corners first. Then wipe and wash walls, windows, counters, furniture and floors.A similar philosophy works with windows. Try cleaning the inside from left to right and the outside from the top down. This will make it easier to tell which side has streaks, if either.
- Replace smoke detector batteries, test the smoke detectors and give them a good wipe down.
- Clear counters and shelves and wash them thoroughly. Wash knick-knacks and dust books. If you have accumulated stacks of papers or bills, now is a good time to file the important documents in your self storage unit. Recycle junk mail, outdated magazines and used envelopes. Shred old bills and other papers that contain personal information.
- Pull out appliances and wash the sides and floor. Clean normally hidden spills and wipe the walls.
- If you plan to paint or thoroughly shampoo the carpets, consider moving your furniture into a self storage unit. Many companies will rent units for as little as a day. Mobile storage companies will even bring a storage unit to your house and remove it when you are done with it.
- When cleaning mattresses and other furniture, consider laying down a tarp and leaving the bedding and upholstery outside on the driveway for a few hours. Some strong sunlight and ultraviolet radiation can help eradicate microscopic creatures that are trying to take up residence there. A thorough steam cleaning may leave your furniture feeling and smelling fresh, also.
- Sort through seasonal clothes. Wash or dry clean them, and sew on buttons or stitch up minor tears. A wardrobe box with a hanging rod will help keep clothes looking good and can easily be placed into your storage unit. Remember to look critically at your garments. Get rid of overly worn garments and things you never wear.
- As you clean the nooks and crannies, you may find leaky faucets, broken door handles or cracked tiles. Take time to make these repairs now to prevent them from becoming more serious or costly problems later. Get seldom used tools out of the way when you are done with the repairs by placing them in your self storage unit.
- Remember the small stuff. Sweep the corners where you vacuum does not reach, wash down air vents, clean the dirt from the tracks in your windows and patio doors, and wipe crown molding and window frames.
- Don’t forget the outside of the house. Use a power sprayer to remove grime, empty wasps’ nests and spider webs from exterior walls and windows. Spray down the garage floor while you are at it to rid the space of fluid leaks and road salt or sand that can easily be tracked inside and stain your carpet.
- Remove lawn furniture from your basement, garage or self storage unit. Clean it. A good spraying with the hose will usually do the trick. Replace the furniture with snow blowers, snow shovels and winter toys like sleds and snowboards. These bulky items can get in the way when stored at home. As these seasonal items don’t need to be removed often, you may find that when you tuck them away in a self storage unit you have taken a very practical step toward keeping your home free of clutter.
- Trim bushes, aerate the lawn, lay down fresh mulch, and maybe even plant a few flowers. Garden tools can be bundled together and placed in trash barrels in your self storage unit when they are not needed.
Spring cleaning may be a lot of work, but the payoff is a brighter, safer home that can give you a new perspective and prepare you to meet life’s other challenges.
Yard Sales and Storage
So you want to have a garage sale to get rid of some of your old things? The question is where to store and organize your items while you are getting ready. A self storage unit is your answer.
Your basement storage room may be so full that you have no idea what is in there, and no room to sort through it. Your garage may be full of tools, bicycles, kids’ toys, yard tools, and sporting equipment, not to mention your cars. An empty storage unit is the perfect place to sort and price all of your items.
The best way to keep things in order is to categorize things as you drop them off at the storage unit. Sort your items by categories you might see in a department store or secondhand store – kitchen, clothing, toys, appliances, linens, sporting goods, etc. It will save you lots of time as your sale approaches. Instead of having to scramble to sort things as the sale date nears, all you will need to do is go in and tag things. (You can even price things as you drop them off.) As you go through things in your storage room or people give you their hand-me-down clothes, you take them right to the storage unit.
If you are having a sale with friends or family, you can split the cost of the storage unit. That greatly increases the benefits of using a self-storage unit to store your items because it reduces the expense.
As the date of your yard sale approaches, set up the racks and tables in your garage before you bring your things over from the storage unit. Have some idea of where you would like things to go. All you will need to do is load up your van or truck with your items and unload them onto the tables and racks in your garage. Everything will already be sorted and priced.
Having the storage unit also will let you concentrate on preparing for the sale without distractions. Leave the kids, computers, and phones at home and spend time sorting and tagging without the common interruptions.
If you have an annual sale, you can bring items to your storage unit year-round. If you keep it well-organized, setting up for your sale should be simple.
Document Storage Overview
Anyone who needs to store documents, whether a business or an individual, should take special care in where and how they save this data. Documents require special care when they are placed into storage. Fire safety is imperative, but special precautions should also be taken to avoid even small amounts of moisture as this also can destroy documents. A little humidity may be enough to cause documents to mildew when they are not stored properly. In addition, documents worthy of the expense involved in placing them into storage may be important enough to require strong security measures.
A self storage unit may be the answer for those who would like to remove document clutter from their workplace or home, but who also want greater personal control at a lower price.
Self storage facilities allow you to remove documents from your business or household and store them at a secure location, and storage facilities come in many forms. Those planning to store documents should look for more than just a room that protects goods from wind and weather.
- Look for a self storage unit with adequate security. Consider features like lighting, cameras, fencing, onsite management and security guards.
- Find a facility that offers climate control features like temperature and humidity control. Find out if the unit has individual controls or if the entire facility is adjusted by management.
- Consider pest control. Ask the facility how they deal with this potential problem and look around the facility to see if it is clear of weeds, foundational cracks and other signs of trouble.
- Be sure you can access the unit whenever you might need to review your stored documents.
- Look for self storage facilities that specialize in document storage.
Military Storage Overview
Military members and their families understand that relocation comes with the job, often on short notice. Whether your move involves a Permanent Change of Station (PSC), Temporary Duty (TDY) or Temporary Additional Duty (TAD), self storage can be a convenient option for long or short-term use.
To prevent unnecessary expenses and last minute decisions, it is important to plan ahead. Whether you have six months or one week before moving, the smallest amount of organization can help.
Before you start packing, visit your military financial center and learn which travel and transportation stipends are available to you. When moving, the option is to either do it yourself or hire a moving company. There are military programs that can assist you if you decide to do it yourself. According to www.military.com, “The Do-It-Yourself (DITY) move is a voluntary program that allows you to be reimbursed by the government for moving your own belongings.”
Once you’ve started planning, there are many things to consider during your search for a public storage facility.
Determine your needs
How much storage space will you rent? Identify the items you will be taking with you and decide which items will be left behind. Are you storing a few small boxes or an entire household worth of furniture? Many storage facilities offer outdoor parking for car or boat storage, as well. Once you have figured out the items you will be stowing, a storage calculator is a handy way to determine the storage unit size that meets your needs, and it can also prevent you from overpaying for a space that is too large. If you’re relocating to another state or overseas for a long period of time, amenities like climate control and property security are important features to consider. Once you’ve established how much storage and which type, planning your budget and moving options is a much easier task.
Locate specials and discounts
Many storage facilities offer military discounts for active-duty personnel and their families. Also, if you will be deployed for many months or years, there are many long-term rental specials available and if it works within your budget, many storage companies offer pre-payment discounts.
Consider other services
There are a variety of additional services available at most self storage facilities. A majority of locations offer online and automatic payment options, which is very helpful for someone whose military deployment is an extensive assignment or in a remote location. Also, many storage businesses sell packing and moving supplies (such as boxes, locks, furniture covers and more), and also provide their customers with the option of truck rental – which is sometimes included in the rental at no additional charge.
Moves and deployments can be stressful experiences for military personnel and their families. When there are bigger issues to consider, moving your household and family should be a simple undertaking, and with proper preparation, using self storage can be a hassle-free process.
Choosing a Moving Company
Let’s face it: moving to a new home can be a frustrating and demanding process. But sometimes it’s a necessary evil. For many people, like military personnel who receive permanent change of station (PCS) orders every few years, moving is a part of life. The good news is: proper research and planning can make your move much less distressing so you can focus on the fun things, like arranging your new place.
Families essentially have two choices for relocating belongings: do it yourself, or hire a moving company.
If you choose to do it yourself, you will have total control over the fate of your things, which is certainly a nice benefit. What’s more, you will probably save a lot of money. But you will also have more work, fewer helping hands, sore backs, and no one to blame but yourself if your things get damaged.
Professional movers, on the other hand, are typically well trained in the laborious arts of packing, lifting and moving. Their process can go much faster than do-it-yourself and good movers know how to protect your stuff. If they don’t, replacements costs may come out of their pockets!
That said, finding and choosing a “good” moving company isn’t always easy. A Google search with keywords like “bad movers” can attest to that, and we’ve all heard horror stories from friends or family about disreputable companies. That’s why it’s vital to sort the good from the bad as early as you can. To ensure you get a quality moving company, you’ll want to put in some legwork.
Think about what you want from a move. Then, before you reach out to any companies, make a checklist of what you need and expect from your relocation experience. This list will help you keep your questions on track, your expectations clear, and your estimates accurate
Prepare yourself before you request a quote:
- When do you need to move? Keep in mind that movers are often busy at the end of the month, on Fridays and weekends. They may charge more for service in these premium times. Consider moving on an “off day” and ask if they offer a discount for relocation during the company’s less busy times.
- Where are you coming from, going to? Are you looking to move locally, long-distance or overseas?
- How much stuff needs to be moved? Write down the number of rooms in your home. Mentally walk through every room, listing the big items first (like furniture, appliances, and other items that don’t fit into boxes). Then try to work out how many boxes it will take to remove the rest of the stuff in the room. Don’t forget to think about garden furniture and the contents of your garage.
- Do you want help with packing, or do you want to do the small stuff yourself?
- Will you transport valuable or fragile items?
- How much insurance will you need? Use your list to estimate the replacement value of each item.
Now you’re ready to start calling around for estimates. But whom do you call?
The best way to find a reliable moving company is by word-of-mouth. If you know someone who has recently moved, find out which moving company they chose and what they thought of the service. Your real estate agent might also be able to give a good recommendation (as well as tell you which movers to avoid!).
Use the web to search and compare local and national companies. Several terrific independent websites offer unbiased information and comparisons of movers, like 123Movers.com. But be alert: some mover-directory websites gather your contact information and sell it to multiple movers; your phone may start ringing a lot. A consumer ratings site, like Yelp.com, aggregates customer feedback for an expansive customer review.
Shopping and comparing; what to ask a mover:
- How long has your company been in business?
- Do you own your own equipment, or do you contract out?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Are you a member of the American Moving and Storage Association?
- Do you have any references that I may contact directly?
- Will you do an in-home estimate, at no charge?
Once you’ve narrowed down your list of your movers, you should do a final check with the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to make sure none of them have serious problems with unresolved complaints.
After talking to a handful of companies, arrange for at least three or four in-home estimates to get a better idea of your moving costs. It’s the only way to get a close-to-accurate moving quote, and it’s usually a good way to screen out scammer moving companies (who often don’t like to take the time to give you an in-home estimate).
Show the moving company everything you plan to move. The more thorough you are in detailing what has to be relocated, the more accurate the estimate will be. Also, let the estimator know about any issues at your home — or the home you’re moving to — that could complicate the process. Lots of stairs, narrow angles and poor driveway access are just a few examples that might add to your overall costs.
Comparing quotes will help you decide which company to choose, but try not to make your choice by cost alone. It may be smarter to spend a little more money and get the company with the best reputation. If you just have a bad feeling you can’t explain but the price is right, trust your gut over your wallet.
Once you make a decision, you’ll be asked to sign a contract outlining the details of your move. Read. The. Contract. If anything seems strange or confusing, ask for clarification. Make notes right on your contract. If the mover dismisses any phrase in the contract by suggesting, “Don’t worry about that,” cross out the sentence. Ask the mover to initial and date any contract changes in pen.
Don’t forget to give your movers a call a few days beforehand to confirm your arrangements. Be sure you (or a trusted friend) attend all inventory counts and truck weigh-ins in person. Make your own notes. Keep all documents and records in a safe place where they can’t be misplaced during the move.
These basic guidelines should help you position yourself for a successful move. But in the end if you feel like you’ve been taken advantage of, cheated in some way, or robbed by a mover, report it immediately and report it often.
Student Storage Overview
The college years may be a time to expand your mind, but physical space can be a problem. There are only so many cubbies, nooks and crannies in your dorm room. After you have completely suffocated and crushed whatever gear you neatly stowed under your bed in the fall with all the extra clothes and books that you accumulated throughout the year, what do you do to make space in your room to walk? Mom will be furious if she finds out that her child lives in a pigsty. Dad will surely give another lecture on male etiquette, which, as usual, ends with “You’ll never impress a girl like that!” A quick fix and a breath of fresh air — literally — may come with a call to the local self storage company.
Depending on the time of year, it may be tricky to find a cheap, available self storage space right away, especially if you live in a small to medium-sized college town. It may even be nearly impossible if you try to search within the last month of the semester unless you are willing to travel a few extra miles from campus. However, if you are looking just to free up some space during the year and you do not want to ship your “valuables” across the country to mom and dad’s basement, then renting a small storage unit may be worth the cost. There are just a few things you may want to ask a company before renting a unit:
- How is the security? (Cameras, personnel, fencing around property, etc.)
- Is there a sign-up, administration or deposit fee?
- Are the first and/or last months prorated?
- Do you need to provide your own lock?
- Will you be able to access your storage unit 24 hours a day?
- What happens to your stuff if you forget to pay or your automatic credit card payment doesn’t go through?
- Are there late payment fees?
- What can you store there?
- Are there any student discounts?
Now that you have a self storage unit, what do you store? Nothing illegal, of course, but also nothing flammable or perishable! Some places offer outdoor storage, which works great for your car if you have to leave it over spring or summer break. Others offer special features like air conditioning or climate control that protect your goods from extreme temperatures and humidity. Things to be stored include old textbooks, seasonal clothes, clothes you know you are not going to wear until maybe next Halloween, and that box you’ve had since freshman year that you know is not important enough to take the time to open.
Here are a few tips to help make things easy to find in your self storage unit:
- Label boxes.
- Place least likely to be used items in back.
- Place breakables on top.
- Leave space between rows of boxes, so you can walk between them.
- Consider adding shelves.
By freeing up some space in your room, not only will you make your parents proud (and potentially that cutie in Chem lab), but you will also be able to start doing all of the things you couldn’t in that wasteland you used to call home.
College Lifestyle: What to Store
Deciding what to do with all of the things you have accumulated during your years in college can be stressful, even frustrating. At the end of spring semester it may be difficult to decide if you are really ever going to wear half of your clothes again or read through that pile of books stacked on your shelves one day. Regardless, you may find yourself moving all of those extra things from year to year into a new dorm room or apartment as you watch them take up more and more valuable space that you could be using to live more comfortably.
Some things you may be able to get rid of, but you know that occasionally you need random things that are important to have even if they are seldom used. Knowing which things will be needed may be a challenge, but decluttering your college home can make your days there much more enjoyable. Outsourcing your extra items to different locations will give you more options. It may make it possible for you to design your living space and tailor it to your own personality.
First, plan out what you need and ask yourself the following questions:
- Is your load of extra stuff getting out of hand?
- When do you need to free up some extra space?
- Is this going to be temporary, such as over the summer or for a semester when you study abroad?
- How much time do you wish to spend sorting through the items and separating them into the things you might use in the near future and the things you can live without?
Leasing a self storage unit near campus may open up some beneficial options, as illustrated below:
- You will be able to go to the self storage facility and pick up the items you need at your convenience. When you find that a reference to last year’s science book would fit perfectly into this year’s research paper, you may be relieved to know that you just have to drive down the road to find it.
- Easy access will allow you to rotate seasonal clothing throughout the school year.
- You will be able to pack furniture near campus during breaks.
- You can take things to the unit anytime and quickly make space in your room.
- It will provide a place to store items, such as last term’s books, until you can sell them online.
If you decide to rent a self storage unit, there are some things you should keep in mind:
- Storage facilities, especially near large campuses, get booked fast as summer approaches, so make plans to reserve a unit well in advance.
- Avoid the degeneration of your items. Be sure to wash clothes and blankets, and to store your items properly.
- Leave room in and around boxes of clothes for ventilation, and keep the door of your mini fridge open. Over time, especially with the increase of humidity, moisture and mildew can build up.
- Remember storing electronics like a television or video game system will require a climate-controlled unit to ensure that parts do not melt.
Self-Controlled Storage for Students
Students often find themselves in a dilemma when it comes to choosing a storage facility to store their belongings when they are off campus. Every student at some point during his or her college days has to move off campus for either summer or spring brakes, or during placements. It is these times that they go through the trouble of finding a suitable place for their belongings. And it all starts with a simple search for, say, ‘self storage Montgomery, Alabama’ on the internet.
A self storage unit is a good solution for such students who are looking for spaces to store their belongings without much hassle and at cheap rates. Self storage facilities provide the perfect place for storing items like books, clothes, sports equipment, projects, pictures, art materials, musical instruments, collectibles, artworks, important documents, small electronic appliances like kettles, iron, etc., which usually are a part of a student’s dorm room. The good thing is, you can find them anywhere now—just go to a search engine online and look for ‘a self storage near me.’ There are a lot of self storage Montgomery, Al options that will be useful if you are in Alabama and you need a secure space for your belongings, on a reasonable price.
Let us discuss some of the benefits of renting self storage (or what you should be looking into for before renting a self storage Montgomery, Al. storage unit).
Cost effective: Since students are limited by budget options, looking for self storage options in Montgomery, Alabama, is a good idea. There are various options available. Instead of renting out a premium storage facility, one can choose a self storage facility which offers cheaper rates and suitable lockers or storage units for students to store their belongings. There are numerous cost effective storage solutions with easy accessibility available in the market.
Easy access: When renting out a self storage unit, it is important to check if the storage
For owners of classic, antique and vintage cars, sports cars and racing cars, storing your seldom-used car in a storage unit is often a viable option. Whether your car is an expensive one that you display in auto shows and parades or just an average car holding only personal sentimental value, you will want to know how to best prepare your car for storage. Proper storage will extend the life of your vehicle, keep it looking like new and running in top condition.
Storing your vehicle in an enclosed, climate-controlled self storage unit is essential. A damp storage unit will cause rust damage to vehicles. Keeping your car in an enclosed storage unit will keep your car safe from theft and vandalism, as well as nature’s elements. Components such as snow, rain, heat and hail and dust can damage your vehicle and greatly depreciate its value. Placing your car in storage will also protect it from the possibility of being hit by another vehicle. You will want to choose a storage unit that is in close proximity to your home so that you can check on it frequently.
Before storing a vehicle, be sure to check with your insurance carrier. Many insurance companies offer coverage especially written to protect your car while in storage. Such off road coverage can offer significant savings over the road insurance coverage.
While preparing a car for storage, keep the following check list handy and be sure to follow it carefully so that your vehicle will run to its optimal performance level and continue to look like new when it’s time to take it out of storage.
- Gather the tools and supplies that you may need before you get started. Some supplies you will need to have handy are various quality cleaners and protectants, a tire gauge, plastic drop cloth, cotton cloth, mothballs and mouse traps. Other items you will need are plastic bags, duct tape, fuel stabilizer, WD40, desiccant sacs, jack and jack stands. You may also need a large wood block for the battery and thin wood trim pieces for under the wind shield wipers. Make sure that you have adequate amounts of each type of fluid on hand to top off all of your fluids.
- Clean Your Car thoroughly both inside and out. Wash the exterior and use a buffer over the entire exterior of the car to buff out all imperfections and apply a good coat of wax. This will protect the exterior from corrosion. Consider having this professionally done.
- Wipe the mirrors clean. Dirt and residue left on mirrors for long periods of time can cause rust and corrosion.
- Remove all trash and debris from the interior of the car. Vacuum it thoroughly to remove all pet hair and food crumbs. Use a stain remover to scrub away any and all stains from the carpet and upholstery. Use an air freshener spray to remove all odors from the inside of your car. Remove all items from the trunk of your car and don’t neglect to properly clean the carpet in the trunk area as well.
- Repairs that may be needed should be done prior to placing your car in storage to prevent further deterioration.
- Change the oil and filter one to two days before putting it into storage. Used oil contains acids, moisture and other combustion byproducts that will cause engine corrosion over time especially when the car sits for long periods.
- Drive your car for several miles after the oil change and before storing it to allow the oil to circulate throughout the entire engine.
- Pull the spark plugs and add about a teaspoon of engine oil inside of each cylinder. Replace the spark plugs – doing this will coat the inside of the cylinders to prevent rust.
- Seal off all engine openings using absorbent cotton cloth. This will absorb any moisture to protect the engine. It will also deter bugs and mice from getting inside. Use cotton cloth to fill other openings in the exhaust pipes and other openings. Be sure to write this down on your maintenance check list to remind yourself to remove the cotton cloth when taking your car out of storage, prior to driving it again.
- Spray the exposed metal surfaces of your engine with a good lubricant such as WD40 to prevent rust. The WD40 will quickly evaporate, causing a protectant film to cover the carb body, hose clamps, coils and other parts.
- Fill the gas tank to prevent moisture and air from getting into your tank. However, if storing in a poorly ventilated unit where gas fumes may create a problem, keep the gas tank only half full.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. Be sure to drive the car around for about 10 miles after adding the fuel stabilizer to allow it to circulate throughout the system. Neglecting to add a fuel stabilizer can cause the gas to break down, causing it to form gum and varnish when it deteriorates.
- Check the color of the brake fluid. The brake fluid should look clear. If the brake fluid is brown and looks dirty, the brake fluid needs to be flushed out and refilled with new fluid. When brake fluid gets old, it contains moisture which can rust the break system. Be sure that the brake, clutch and master cylinders are both full of brake fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water quickly. It is recommended that the brake and clutch fluid be bled out annually to purge the system of contaminated brake fluid.
- Flush transmission fluid, steering fluid and engine coolant if it appears dirty to prevent corrosion to their systems. If these fluids are clear, top them off to prevent air and moisture from getting inside which will also cause damage.
- Convertible Tops should be stored with the top left up. When the convertible top is left open for long periods, it can develop large, ugly looking creases. Treat the convertible top with silicone or other lubricant. Desiccant sacs can be placed inside the interior of the car on the floor. This will keep moisture that may form from humidity from damaging the top.
- Tires can go bad when sitting in storage for long periods. They can develop dry rot and flat spots. Avoid using products to give your tires a shine as they will dry out the tires and increase dry rot. Over inflate the tires slightly to 37 or 38 psi to prevent flat spots. Have tires checked for leaks and have them repaired before storage. Tires with an “H” rating or higher will do best in storage.
- Refer to your owner’s manual when caring for your battery. Some car specialists suggest removing the battery and placing it on a wooden block so the battery won’t be drained. Others suggest leaving the battery in the car but disconnect the negative (-) terminal of the battery. Still other car specialists insist that the battery should be left intact in the car to prevent voltage spikes. Voltage spikes can do major damage to components.
- A Storage Switch can be found on some cars. When flipping this switch, the battery shuts off, preventing the battery from draining and deters theft.
- Roll up the windows and close vents to protect your car against moisture and from bugs and mice getting inside.
- Check hoses for bulges and cracks, and have them replaced if they show extensive damage.
- Exhaust Pipes can be protected from moisture and pests from getting inside by placing a plastic bag over the exhaust pipe opening and sealing it around the exhaust pie with duct tape.
- Windshield Wipers remove the blades and place thin wood strips, or white cotton cloth under the wipers to prevent them from scratching the windows.
- Park the car on a plastic sheet or on jacks. Make sure the emergency break is off to prevent it from sticking.
- Cover your car with a tarp to keep it safe from dust.
- Set moth balls around the outside of the car and mouse traps to keep pests away.
- Visit your car at least once a month; start the engine and let it run for a few minutes. WARNING: make sure you leave the door to your storage unit open when running the engine for proper ventilation. When possible, take your car for a quick drive to get all parts moving.
- Revive the car after long storage. Open all windows to air out your car. Remove the cotton cloth placed in all pipe openings. Remove the plastic bag from the exhaust pipe. Check all fluids. Reinstall the battery and make sure it is fully charged. Take your car for a drive.
Taking the proper precautions is very important if you want your boat to be ready to use when spring comes. Failure to winterize your boat can cause significant damage such as cracks, leaks, corrosion, and frozen pipes. Freezing, dormancy, moisture, and corrosion can lead to large repair bills. In order to avoid costly repairs in the spring, it is important to take the proper precautions in the fall.
Here are some necessary steps to take when winterizing your boat:
Find a storage location
Your options are storing in your garage, in your driveway or backyard, rack storage, a marina, or a storage facility. Be sure to consult your owner’s manual for rules on safety, instructions on towing capacity, and storage tips.
Be sure to give your boat a thorough cleaning inside and out. This will also let you discover anything that might need repair before putting your boat away until the spring. It will let you take care of any spills or messes that you may not have been aware of, and thus let you avoid having to uncover any mysterious odors in the spring. Clean your boat and apply a rust inhibitor on your steering and control cables and on the metal hardware.
It is best to handle anything that is broken, worn, or damaged in the fall when boatyards are less busy than in the springtime rush. You also don’t want to leave something like a crack sitting all winter long, as damage could become worse.
All electronics should be removed and stored in a safe, dry, and warm place.
Things such as cushions, curtains, sails, personal flotation devices, and fire extinguishers should also be stored. Lockers and drawers should be propped open to air out, and the refrigerator should be emptied out. To avoid mildew, keep the moisture inside your boat in suspension and on the move. A dehumidifier can help increase the interior air temperature and prevent moisture, as it keeps the air circulating inside the boat. Be sure to place some boxes of baking soda throughout your boat to absorb moisture.
Drain the fluid from your manifolds and engine blocks, water pumps, and coolers. Be sure to drain and fill the gearcase with gearcase lubricants. Drain the port-a-potty, fresh water tank, and hot water heater. Add non-toxic antifreeze to your water tank, hot water heater, and port-a-potty.
Fuel and antifreeze
Fill the gas tank to prevent condensation, oxidation, and gas spoilage. Be sure to add stabilizer to preserve the gas and prevent damage to the fuel system. Run the engine for about 15 minutes to make sure the stabilizer reaches the gas in your fuel lines. Put antifreeze into the cooling system and into the supply lines for the water faucets and shower.
Run the engine to warm it up and change the oil while it is warm. Dirty engine oil can thicken after long-term storage and make it difficult to start the boat when you are done storing it. Be sure to change the oil filter, too.
Prepare the engine
You’ll also want to change the transmission fluid, remove spark plugs, and use “fogging oil” on each cylinder. Spray a towel with fogging oil or WD-40 and wipe down the engine.
Sand the bottom of the boat and repaint it to prevent rust.
Prepare the battery
Disconnect the battery cables and remove the battery. Clean the terminal ends, wash the battery with a solution of water and baking soda, and rinse it with distilled water. Apply a light coating of grease to the terminal ends of the battery and cables. Be sure to use a trickle charger to keep the battery charged. Store it in a dry, safe place and off of concrete.
Inspect the stern drive
Thoroughly inspect the stern drive and remove any plants or barnacles from the lower unit. For stern drives with rubber boots, be sure to check for cracks or holes. Make sure you grease all fittings and check your fluid levels.
Bilges should be clean and dry. Use soap, hot water, and a stiff brush to clean up any spills from oil. Once the bilges are clean, spray them with a moisture-displacing lubricant and add antifreeze to prevent water from freezing.
Choose a proper cover
Be sure to cover your boat tightly before storing it, even if it is being stored indoors. Make sure that whatever cover you choose has good ventilation. Also be certain there are no tears or damages to the cover.
Most insurance policies don’t cover damage caused by lack of maintenance, so winterizing is very important. The best way to winterize your boat is to check your owner’s manual; every boat is different. Don’t be afraid to seek professional help and ask lots of questions if you have never winterized before. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
A WORD ON CLIMATE-CONTROLLED STORAGE UNITS
Things to consider before investing in a climate-controlled storage unit for your needs
With the seasons changing rapidly, you will soon find yourself looking for storage spaces for your belongings that need to be locked away for the winters. There are two ways one can store their valuable items. The first, storing up the attics and cupboards which will lead to blocking of these spaces for the entire winter season. The second one is more effective, which is, renting out a climate-controlled storage unit at a reasonable price, and saving a lot of space at home.
What should you look for in a climate-controlled storage unit?
It is important that you have a basic understanding of how a climate-controlled storage unit works. It will help you in deciding what you need and what you should be spending on renting one. Let’s have a look at the factors that decide if a unit is a good fit for you.
Place: If you wish to store items that you will seldom need, then a little bit of distance will not matter much. But if it is something that you will need to fetch quite often, then make sure that the climate storage unit you are renting is nearby. It will save you a lot of transportation cost.
Duration: First decide the duration for which you would need to rent out a climate-controlled storage unit. This will help you in deciding your budget and exact requirements. You might get good offers for renting storage units for a longer duration.
Budget: Decide on a budget before spending on a climate-controlled storage unit. It will help you eliminate the expensive ones. Having a budget will also help you in deciding what size to choose when selecting a climate-controlled storage unit.
Things to store: It is important that you prioritize what all you need to store in a climate storage unit. Unnecessarily storing items that don’t need storage will result in wastage of space and money. Make sure to store items that you will need only at regular intervals. It is advisable that you do not store belongings that you will need on a regular/semi-regular basis, as it will result in a wastage of time in retrieving them and storing them again.
Kind of storage unit: Find out the right kind of climate storage unit that is suitable for your needs. You can choose between a normal storage unit, a temperature-controlled unit, based on what kind of items you need to store. You should rent out a temperature-controlled or climate-controlled storage unit only for storing items that are perishable in nature. Otherwise, a regular storage unit vendor is the one you should talk to.
The reputation of the storage vendor: Make sure to look at the reputation of the storage facility where you are renting out your next climate-controlled storage unit. Renting a storage unit will not just serve the purpose of providing a safe place but, it will also mean that you will be investing a significant amount which will be locked in for a long time. A reputed facility will give you a good return on investment.
These are some of the key points that you should remember when you are looking to rent out a climate-controlled storage in Montgomery Al, or a place near you. It is important that you do thorough research and then carefully decide which option is the most suitable for your needs. Make sure you make a well-informed decision while renting a climate-controlled storage unit. It’s where your pricy belongings will be stored after all!
Who Can Use Climate-Controlled Storage Units?
Know the benefits and versatility of use of temperature-controlled storage
Climate controlled storage units serve a different purpose for everyone. From business owners and students to homemakers, these storage units are second to none when it comes to providing the best storage conditions. Get comfortable and secure all year by choosing a controlled mini storage for women that will allow you to keep household items safe, for men that will allow you to keep valuables intact, for students that will let you to keep your belongings secure as you move on and off-campus, and for businesses that will help you store items that might get ruined with temperature changes. They provide everything from dust and pest control to protection from weather changes. They are also ideal for everyone wishing to keep his or her most important items safe and secure.
When do you need a conditioned storage unit near you?
This depends on what you are storing and for how long it will last in storage. For some people, it may be short-term while as for others it is a long-term affair. Generally, delicate items are more ideal for this type of storage unit. Before you can start choosing the best climate-controlled storage unit in Montgomery, Al, consider these pros and cons to help you decide.
Advantage of using temperature-controlled storage units
There are several benefits that one can enjoy by renting a climate-controlled storage unit. For business owners, they help to ensure those office items are well protected from the sudden change in weather patterns. Extreme temperature and humid conditions can spoil delicate items like books and electronic devices needed for day-to-day operations. Homeowners, on the other hand, are protected from spoilage of food items that are perishable. They help to control the overall conditions of the storage unit making food last longer.
Below we are going to look at a few benefits you should know before Googling “climate-controlled storage near me.”
Helps to avoid sudden changes in temperature: The most obvious benefit for using these storage units with climate control is keeping at bay extreme fluctuations in temperature. There are several climate-controlled storage in Montgomery, Al that are available at cost-effective prices. Most storage units in the market fail to provide the right and adequate temperatures, so be careful which you choose.
Reduce exposure and infestation of dust and pests: You can avoid this menace by renting a climate-controlled storage unit. These storage units are well insulated to deter external negative conditions like dust from affecting your items. Besides, this type of storage unit helps to keep debris as well as rodents from wreaking havoc in your stored items.
It’s a long-term storage unit: Business sometimes store items without prior awareness of how long they will stay in storage. This storage unit helps to ensure you are protected for a long time without much concern about items getting spoiled. Having a climate control storage unit gives you an edge by becoming more flexible while you make decisions about your inventory.
Important Items that can be stored
- Electronic appliances
- Artworks – drawings and wall portraits
- Musical instruments
Your Answer to Finding a Climate Controlled Storage Near Me
Deciphering the factors that determine if you really need a climate-controlled storage unit
The whole moving experience can be a big change in life and have a significant emotional impact. The next time you move into a new home and wonder what to do with the old belongings that have a high emotional value for you, Google “the best climate controlled storage near me”.
Go through the results and find a climate storage Montgomery Al that offers you good rates and is suitable for your storage needs.
What can you store in a climate-controlled storage unit?
Wooden furniture: Antiques and wooden hand-me-down furniture are the best items to be stored in climate-controlled storage units. Storing wooden furniture can be a bit tricky, they need the right kind of temperature, humidity and air quality to keep it from cracking, or catching molds and fungus. Wrap them in a good quality cloth and then store them in a climate-controlled storage unit.
Leather items: Leather items get damaged very easily. High heat and humidity can cause it to rot and melt. A climate storage Montgomery Al keeps away external elements like heat, dust, rain, humidity, etc., and prevents them from entering the unit. Most climate-controlled storage units have internal humidity control which helps in maintaining a steady humidity level.
Appliances: Electronics can malfunction and get damaged due to dust and humidity. A climate-controlled storage unit is ideal to store electronic appliances due to its steady internal climate conditions. The good air quality and temperature help in keeping the metal parts of the appliances from rusting. Household appliances like washers, dryers, refrigerators, toasters, ovens etc. are some of the items that need climate-controlled storage units.
Musical instruments: For people who have an interest in musical instruments, storing them is a big hassle. Climate-controlled storage units help maintain a good steady humidity level and help in keeping the instruments in good condition. It keeps the wood from drying out and cracking. The metal strings also stay protected from rust and damage if kept within a climate-controlled storage unit. Instruments like drums, guitars, flutes, violins etc. can be stored in a climate-controlled storage units.
Artworks and paintings: Artworks and paintings are valuable and delicate. They need special conditions for storage. The paint is perishable and needs to be protected from dust, debris, water, heat, molds, and fungus. A climate-controlled storage unit provides the ideal conditions that can help maintain paintings and artworks in well-preserved conditions.
Documents and photographs: Photo albums and various important documents can be stored in a climate-controlled storage unit for safekeeping. Since paper can be damaged easily by heat, dust, debris, water, a controlled internal environment is ideal for its storage. You can rent either a self-storage Montgomery or a climate storage Montgomery Al which provides a drive-in & drive-out facility.
These were some of the examples of the items that can be stored in a climate-controlled storage unit or a self-storage unit for safe-keeping. There are other items that one can store in a climate-storage unit like books, mattresses, records, special collections, wine, and clothing. Be careful about what you store and how you store items in a climate-controlled storage facility.
A Word on Climate-Controlled Storage Units
Things to consider before investing in a climate-controlled storage unit for your needs
With the seasons changing rapidly, we will soon find ourselves looking for storage spaces for our belongings that need to be stored away for the winters. There are two ways one can store their valuable items. The first, storing up the attics and cupboards which will lead to blocking of these spaces the entire winter season. The second one is more effective, renting out climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al and saving a lot of space at home.
What should you look for in a climate-controlled storage unit?
It is important that you have an understanding of how a climate-controlled storage unit works. It will help you in deciding what you need and what you should be spending on renting one.
Place: If you wish to store items that you will seldom need, then a little bit of distance will not matter much. But if it is something that you will need to fetch quite often then make sure that the climate storage Montgomery Al you are renting is nearby, it will save you travel cost as well as transportation cost.
Duration: First decide the duration for which you would need to rent out a climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al. This will help you in deciding your budget and exact requirements. You might get good offers for renting storage units for a longer duration.
Budget: Decide on a budget before spending on a climate-controlled storage unit. It will help you eliminate the expensive ones. Having a budget will also help you in deciding what size to choose when selecting a climate-controlled storage unit.
Things to store: It is important that you prioritize what all you need to store in a climate storage Montgomery Al. Unnecessarily storing items that don’t need storage will result in wastage of space and money. Make sure to store items that you will need only at regular intervals. It is advisable that you not store belongings that you will need on a daily basis as it will result in a wastage of time in retrieving it.
Kind of storage unit: Find out the right kind of climate storage unit that is suitable for your needs. You can choose between a normal storage unit, a temperature-controlled unit or a climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al. You should rent out a temperature-controlled or climate-controlled storage unit for storing items that are perishable in nature.
The reputation of the storage place: Make sure to look at the reputation of the storage facility where you are renting out your next climate-controlled storage unit. Renting a storage unit will not just serve the purpose of providing a storage place but, it will also mean that you will be investing a significant amount which will be locked in for a long time. A reputed facility will give you a good return on investment.
These are some of the key points that you should remember when you are looking to rent out a climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al. It is important that you do thorough research and then carefully decide which is the most suitable for your needs. Make sure you make a well-informed decision while renting a climate-controlled storage unit.
Climate Controlled Storage for Everyone
People from all walks of life at some point, face the need to rent a storage facility. A storage unit can be used by students, business owners, pharmaceutical companies, breweries, real estate agents, salesmen and people from various other fields. There are many options available in the market. One can choose from temperature controlled storage units, climate controlled storage units, mini storage units, vehicular storage units, heated storage units, air-conditioned storage units, and many more such options. Maxwell mini storage offers various storage options ranging from self-storage units to climate controlled storage units.
Who can use a climate controlled storage facility?
Business owners: a climate controlled storage unit is extremely beneficial for business owners. It can be used to store goods and inventory easily to eliminate the risk of damage. It helps in storing office supplies, and intermediary goods as well, which can help de-clutter the office space.
Students: Climate controlled storage units are especially helpful for students to store their belongings during gap years or of campus breaks. This helps them be ready, in order to move back on campus with ease and reduces the stress of storing these belongings elsewhere.
Winemakers: Wine companies can make excellent use of climate controlled storage units. They provide the ideal temperature and humidity to store wine. It also eliminates the risk of damage by heat and sunlight.
Artists: Artists who use special mediums like fabric and wood for their artworks can make use of climate controlled mini storage units or climate controlled storage units. The stable temperature and humidity will help preserve the artworks over a long duration. It will protect them from extreme temperature fluctuations, humidity, dust, and debris.
Collectors: People who are collectors of special items like stamps, paintings, artifacts, coins, currencies, etc., can use climate controlled storage units to keep their collection in good condition. A climate controlled storage unit usually comes with sealed roofs, walls, and floors which minimizes the entry of dust. This, in turn, will help in keeping the collections safe.
All You Need to Know About Climate-Controlled Boat and Rv Storage
People who know the happiness of owning a boat or an RV, also understand the hassles of keeping them in proper storage facilities. People who are owners of small boats, can easily load their boats on a trailer and take them back home for storage. But for the ones who own slightly bigger boats, it gets very difficult to find the right kind of boat storage facility. The same applies to RV owners. People who have bigger RVs face similar issues—which can be frustrating to say the least.
Though there are several dry boat storage and RV storage facilities available in the market, it is important to choose the right one according to one’s storage needs.
In this article, we will be looking into what to look for when renting a boat and RV storage unit.
When it comes to renting a boat and RV storage unit, there are some specific factors to be considered. In each of the above cases, the storage needs are different and have to be taken into consideration. Let’s dive in!
For boat storage needs
Size of the boat: It is important to take into consideration the size of one’s boat. Depending on the size of the boat, one would need to decide how much space is required.
A choice between dry or wet boat storage: There is a choice that one might have to make between dry boat storage and wet boat storage facility. One has to identify if they require a dry or wet boat storage. They also should see the feasibility of whatever choice they make.
Climate controlled or temperature controlled storage: Another important factor to consider is what type of boat storage facility is required for particular boats. A climate controlled facility will provide extra protection from factors like humidity and temperature fluctuations. Whereas a temperature controlled storage will provide only consistent temperature. Other aspects like humidity and air quality control are not a part of temperature controlled storage facilities.
Covered or open storage: One may choose between open or covered boat storage facilities. It is important to consider that an open boat storage facility whether dry or wet, will expose the boat to other weather conditions like sunlight, dust, rain, humidity, etc. On the other hand, a covered boat storage facility will prove an extra layer of protection to the boat. This will, in turn, keep the boat safe from rust and damage.
Location: It is an important factor that is to be considered when renting out a boat storage facility. The location where one will store their boat will determine its accessibility. One can pick a storage facility near one’s house, or near a water body which they frequently visit.
For RV storage needs
Weather Protection: when picking out an RV storage facility, one should consider weather protection as one of the most important factors. One can choose between open and outdoor parking spaces, covered parking spaces and climate controlled storage buildings. The last one provides maximum protection to the vehicle.
Security: This is one of the first criteria that are to be met when selecting an RV storage facility. A secured and fenced facility, with well-lit areas, should be preferred. The facility or parking space should be only accessible with a key. There should be surveillance systems monitoring the area round-the-clock. Whether a climate controlled storage or not, security should be a pre-requisite for any storage facility.
Access: Having easy and hassle-free access is important when it comes to selecting an RV storage. It is advisable to make sure, the storage facility is accessible all throughout the week. This will ensure the owner has full access to his vehicle and can take out for a journey at his convenience.
In a nutshell, irrespective of whether one picks a climate controlled storage unit or not, he should check the pre-requisites of the storage facility thoroughly, to help him make a good and informed decision.
Do I Need Climate Controlled Storage??
Let’s Decide With Confidence What The Best Option Is For You
In the market for a climate-controlled environment so your valuables and items will never get damaged? I am confident your answer is a huge yes, and this is the reason why:
Likely, you already know that intense temperature changes have the ability to make objects do unusual things. Such as cold water being able to increase the volume of any object or item. I am sure you know this phenomenon if you have ever had a soda can explode in your freezer. Stuff almost always responds physically (shrinking or extending) if encountered by extreme heat or cold.
Your favorite wooden chair or table’s veneer surface will undoubtedly experience cracking and splitting if held in a standard, non-climate controlled storage facility. When placing your items in a unit that does not offer climate or temperature control, you are basically gambling with your valuables. Granted, you may save a little money, but by doing so, you are weighing the risk of what may happen to your stored items. Keep your betting for the casino and stay rest assured your valuable items and furniture are preserved in the ideal climate-controlled storage unit.
Moisture & Humidity
An additional upside to climate control is that it provides the unit humidity regulation and control. Apart from fire, humidity is undoubtedly the worst element concerning all types of material.
Humidity has no preference for its destruction, attacking all substances – especially medal. Obviously this includes furniture and electronics. Demolishing everything from cell phones to cameras to computers to hard drives and memory sticks. Essentially, humidity is beyond treacherous because it destroys silently, over a prolonged stretch of time.
If you do end up deciding not to reap the benefits climate-control can provide, you will undoubtedly be faced with a mildew, rust and tarnish problem.
Moreover, climate-controlled storage does not merely provide assistance from the effects of the outdoors. Temperature controls and door seals help restrain your belongings and prevent unwanted intruders. This means first-class security features and pest and rodent prevention.
Let’s cut right to the chase – storing your items in a climate control unit gives you the peace of mind knowing everything you left will remain exactly the same way -indefinitely.
Here at Maxwell Mini Storage, we recognize that your foremost concern is to always have your stored items preserved from weather, humidity, and theft. We assure you this will always be our main objective. On top of that, we promise to give you the most dependable and trustworthy service, precisely for your specific needs, whatever they may be.
Storage units in Montgomery Alabama for Businesses
What you can gain from an affordable storage unit
Business owners in Montgomery Alabama find themselves making an extra effort when it comes to stock keeping. They often need to rent storage units in and near Montgomery Alabama, to store their raw materials and intermediary goods. These goods are an essential part of the business and any damage to these goods will cause huge losses to business owners. In this article, we will dive deep into things you know before you go and look for a storage unit in Montgomery, Al.
Which businesses can benefit from renting storage units?
Today let us take a look at some sectors where business owners can make use of storage facilities and even self-storage in Montgomery Alabama, to store their inventory. Before you do a search for “climate controlled storage near me,” you need to understand what is there in store for you from climate controlled storage units.
Construction: People who are in the construction business often need to store their raw materials and pieces of equipment between projects. Renting a storage unit in Montgomery Alabama will be beneficial for these kinds of businesses. This will help in reducing losses due to wastage of materials and help them maximize their profit margins. This also ensures safety of the stock from theft and any unforeseen accidents.
Pharmaceutical: Pharmaceutical store owners and distributors can benefit largely by renting storage units near or in Montgomery Alabama. Climate-controlled storage units are ideal for storing these kinds of inventory. Climate-controlled storage units provide the optimum temperature range for such stock and help the owners reduce their cost by increasing their shelf life of the products.
Sales: Sales-driven businesses have a huge stock of point of sales materials like brochures, pamphlets, posters, bunting, danglers, banners, promotional stands, packaging materials, signboards, etc., which require storage spaces. Such businesses can rent out storage spaces to store their POS materials during off-seasons and help de-clutter their offices.
Legal firms: Legal firms have a lot of documents and important legal papers that they need to store. They can make use of storage units in or near Montgomery Alabama to store them properly. A regular storage unit can be used for storing important documents as they do not fall under perishable goods and do not require special storage conditions, just cabinets will do.
Catering and food industry: Restaurants and catering businesses have a huge traffic of raw materials that requires storage and easy access. Climate-controlled storage units are best suited to cater to these kinds of businesses. It allows them to store their inventory and replenish them as and when required. They have ready stock at their disposal at all times, ensuring a smooth operation.
Retail: Retail business owners need to store huge quantities of inventories which also requires 24×7 access. To run a smooth operation system, it is important to ensure that the storage facility gives full access to the rented storage unit. Renting a storage unit for these kinds of businesses will make sure that there is a steady supply of goods, hence will help in cutting down unnecessary operating costs.
Art dealers and artists: Paintings and other expensive art objects require special storage spaces which can be monitored externally. They need to be protected from dust, humidity, heat, frost, etc. so that they can be preserved better. What better way to store them if not in a climate-controlled storage unit? Art dealers and artists can use specialized storage units to store their creations and stock for long periods. Doing so ensures not only safety for the goods but also helps in the smooth operation of the business.
Landscaping: Landscaping business owners have a lot of tools and types of pieces of equipment that need proper storing to keep them in good condition. Business owners can use storage units to ensure that they are kept safe and secure, away from damage.
The above are just some of the businesses that can benefit from renting a storage unit to store their stock of goods and tools. They can choose between a climate-controlled, temperature-controlled or just a regular storage unit. Using a storage unit will reduce operational costs and wastage, thus will help in increasing profit margins.
Climate Controlled Storage for Business Professionals
Business owners and professionals always have the requirement of storing various kinds of items and goods that are useful to their enterprise. The goods to be stored may include items like raw materials, seller aids, marketing materials, finished goods, office supplies, equipment, intermediary goods and many more.
For any business owner, keeping their goods and belongings safe is very important. This is when one can reap the benefits of climate controlled storage units or facilities.
What is a climate controlled storage unit?
A climate controlled storage unit is a storage facility which is specially designed to control the internal climate of the unit. This means that such units control not only the temperature but also other factors like humidity, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, etc. These facilities come with high-quality HVAC systems to maintain the internal climate.
The difference between ‘climate controlled storage unit’ and ‘temperature controlled storage unit’
When it comes to choosing between a climate controlled storage unit and a temperature controlled storage unit, it is important to know the basic difference in them. Most people confuse one with the other, but there is a significant difference. While temperature controlled storage units only maintain a steady temperature, a climate controlled storage unit facility will manage both temperature and humidity of the place. It helps to maintain the condition of goods better.
What temperature are climate controlled storage units?
Most climate controlled storage unit facilities maintain their internal temperature between the ranges of 55 to 80-degree Fahrenheit. This range helps maintain most kinds of goods, like documents, wooden goods, artworks, delicate fabrics, metals, electronics, construction materials, marketing materials, etc. Special items like wine, pharmaceuticals need a much lower range of temperature for maintenance.
Below are some of the benefits of climate controlled storage units for business owners.
Protection of goods from temperature fluctuations: Most business owners find it difficult to maintain their goods during the change of seasons. The fluctuations in temperature and other climatic factors like humidity, air flow, etc., can cause serious damage to the goods. Climate controlled storage units can be used to protect one’s goods from these fluctuations in temperature and other climatic fluctuations.
Protection from dust and debris: Using a climate controlled storage unit or climate control mini storage unit, can prove to be very useful in protecting the goods stored by business professionals and owners. Most climate controlled storage units are constructed in buildings with sealed walls and insulated roofs and floors, which provide extra protection from leaks and floods. It also helps provide protection from insects and rodents as well.
Pay a little extra cost for security: Most climate controlled storage units come at a premium price. But for business owners and professionals who want to store important belongings and goods, this extra cost to the business provides extra protection of their goods. The climate controlled storage units come with good security and surveillance systems to help secure the facility. They monitor all visitors and catalog the inflow and outflow of storage materials. This, in turn, helps to keep a tab on inventory as well.
Save a lot of space: Renting a climate controlled storage unit or climate controlled mini storage facility near one’s business, one can save up on storage space at the place they operate from. They can choose to store items which they rarely use. This can help business owners or professionals de-clutter their offices and prioritize their storage needs.
Any business owner or professional should do thorough research before renting a climate controlled storage unit near them. It is a good idea to understand one’s business needs and then look at options that suit them best. Every business will have different requirements which will require very specific storage solutions. One can rent a climate controlled storage unit on a monthly basis, yearly basis or for longer durations. Whatever the choice is, renting a climate controlled storage unit is always beneficial for a business.
Climate Controlled Storage Montgomery Guide
What to know before renting a climate-controlled storage unit in Montgomery, Alabama
Renting out a storage space for your belongings is a difficult task. Especially, if you are doing it for the first time. There are so many factors that one needs to consider before renting out a storage unit. These factors include distance, space, budget, type of storage unit, services, things to store, etc. These factors together form a very integral part of the decision-making process that goes behind renting a storage unit. You should ask yourself “what are the best climate-controlled storage units near me?”
If you are finding a climate storage Montgomery Al, the insights in this article might help you.
Key points to remember when looking for climate-controlled storage units.
Items to store: Make a list of the items that you need to store in a climate-controlled storage unit or a standard storage unit. This task will help you store only those items that require storage, thus helping you de-clutter your house and the climate-controlled storage unit you will rent.
Services provided by the storage facility: Since you will need to fetch the items at regular intervals, it is important to check the kind of services that the facilities provide. Depending on what you will be storing in either a climate-controlled or standard storage unit, you should ask if the facility provides pick and drop services or if it is a self-drive climate-controlled storage Montgomery Al.
Insurance: It is safe to say that you will be storing valuable items in the rented climate-controlled storage unit. The value could be emotional or monetary. We should note that even though storage units are supposed to safe-keep your items, they are not entirely accident-proof. They are susceptible to natural calamities and unforeseen accidents like fire, flood, earthquake, etc. In the occurrence of such an event, your belongings should be protected by means of insurance. Take an extra step to ensure that your belongings are insured, find out of there is an additional cost that is to be borne. Ask if the climate-controlled storage Montgomery Alabama facility provides insurance services or not.
Duration: Decide the duration for which you would be renting a climate-controlled storage unit. This will help in deciding the budget and will also fetch you good offers if you keep for longer durations. If your requirement is for a shorter duration, you can check out a few options and decide the one which gives you the best competitive price.
Size: It is important that you know, how big or small a climate-controlled storage unit you will be needing. It is not a good idea to rent a big storage unit and not use it to its full potential. Neither is it wise to get a small storage unit and stuff it with unnecessary items. In both these cases, there will be a waste of money and space. So, find the correct size that will be suitable for your storage needs.
These were some of the key points that you should keep in mind when looking for a climate-controlled storage unit. Do good research before investing in a storage unit. Compare prices and choose the best one that suits your storage needs.
How Your Business Can Benefit From Using a Temperature-Controlled Storage Facility
Know about the advantages of renting a climate-controlled unit for your organization
What is the best way to store your business items when the weather changes? Temperature controlled storage facilities help to protect your items or commodities from sudden weather changes. These storage units help to maintain a consistent and regulated temperature all year long. While temperature-controlled storage facilities may be expensive, they offer peace of mind by securely protecting your most delicate and valuable items. Here is what you will find when you search for ‘benefits of temperature controlled storage near me’.
Benefits of using a temperature controlled storage or a climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al
Seasonal changes in climate make it necessary for a business to choose temperature-controlled storage facilities for safe storage needs. Due to extremely humid conditions experienced all year long, storing items can be a bit tricky for businesses. A climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al for women is beneficial to ensure your business is safe all year long whilst reducing unnecessary losses due to damages from extreme climate conditions.
A barrier from dust and debris: Climate controlled storage facilities help a great deal to keep debris and dust away from your belongings. The in-built climate control setting helps to maintain a well maintained internal condition that is dustproof and keeps debris away. You will find your belongings secure and in the same condition in which you left them, whether you take a vacation or you’re away on the weekend.
Maintains fresh air throughout the year: Most storage unit facilities allow air to keep coming into your unit all the time. On the other hand, a controlled storage unit will only let clean and fresh air to come in. This allows most business commodities to stay fresh and last longer without getting stale. If you search for ‘the air quality inside a conditioned storage units near me’, you will find that most facilities frequently check and monitor their internal airflow quality. Therefore renting a climate controlled storage is ideal for every business.
Priceless protection against molds: Excessive humidity creates the perfect conditions for mold and fungus infestation. This affects the condition of your belongings that are stored in your storage unit to a great extent. If you look up how to control humidity levels in a temperature-controlled storage near me’, you will find several tips that will help you to control humidity levels in your storage unit. One of the most common tip is to open the unit regularly. This helps to let in light for a fresh good atmosphere while keeping molds at bay.
Helps protect your most delicate commodities: A climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al for women helps to keep your most valuable and delicate commodities safe 24/7. Delicate items like books, artworks, wooden furniture, and electronics are well preserved by this product. Protect your most valuable business items by getting climate controlled storage facilities.
Pay less with added peace of mind: Temperature controlled storage facilities cost less than traditional storage facilities. This helps you to keep your mind at rest, along with being assured that your items are perfectly protected. If you are storing items that are not valuable for a short period, traditional temperature storage is the most ideal choice.
Good humidity control all year with more protection: With a climate controlled storage facility Montgomery, Al, you get the benefit of internal humidity control that keeps your business commodities safe. Too much humidity levels in your facility can cause extreme damage to delicate commodities stored. Thus it becomes paramount to choose one of the facilities to help protect your items and goods whilst avoiding unnecessary wastages.
These are the benefits of choosing a climate controlled storage Montgomery, Al. Whether you decide to search for ‘climate controlled mini storage near me’ or a ‘storage facility that is fast flowing’, in terms of inventory, ensure you pick one that suits your business needs. Storage needs for your business require a lot of investment, so do thorough research when choosing a conditioned storage unit.